Dad

Dad

Thursday, December 31, 2020

FOUR YEARS

 It was just over four years ago when I asked the oncologist who had just confirmed that I had “aggressive prostrate cancer”, “What if I do nothing?”  I thought it was a fair question, since neither  of the treatment scenarios she was presenting sounded particularly enticing.  It was hormonal therapy with radiation or surgical removal of the affected area.  She said the hormones would cause hot flashes, swelling in my breast, and possibly diarrhea which could be an issue for the rest of my life.  Surgery and removal could cause incontinence, impotence, and a slight risk of infection with the surgery.

So that is why I asked about doing nothing.  Her answer was, “You would probably live for four more years.”  

Now it has been four years.  In that time I have preached hundreds of sermons, hugged thousands of people, conducted or attended several weddings, and helped several people through hard times and loss.  I have traveled to Florida , Oregon, Washington and Idaho several times.  I have ridden my bike thousands of miles in some amazing places; Jekyll Island, Daytona Beach, Cape Cod, the Peace Gardens, Hiawatha Trail, and even across the Royal Gorge.  This week our first grandchild got engaged.

As these four years close out, I’m ready for four more.  Four or even twenty four!  More time with my wonderful Christina, more time to go to our grandson’s wedding, more time to ride and travel.  I look forward to challenges and surprises and driving my tractor!



Above all, I want to live every day for the glory of God.  In this retirement phase, I want to be a blessing, not a burden.

God bless you in the new year!

Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment